The next version of BASeBlock, which I have dubbed version 2.5 since that seems like a sensible update from 2.4- will use the .NET framework 4.0 and will be compiled with C# 4.0. Previously, all work was done in Visual Studio 2008, which of course doesn’t work with anything past Framework 4. After working in VS2010 some with BCDodger and starting to shift to it for general programming, I decided it was time to at the very least upgrade BASeBlock so I can enjoy the new features of VS2010. After doing so, I figured- in for a penny, in for a pound- and upgraded the targeted .NET framework to 4.0.
Some big advantages from this move, aside from having a few more language features at my disposal, include the DLR (Dynamic Language Runtime) which should allow the relatively easy addition of scripting capabilities much like I have for C# and VB.NET for languages like Python And Ruby. Another advantage that I wasn’t expecting was the improvements to the CLR which actually give the game another +20 frames per second on average just for the debug build.
Another nice thing is that this upgrade does not affect Mono compatibility- though it doesn’t work there because I use some windows specific platform/invoke in a few locations. Replacing those with appropriate platform specific equivalents as needed would fix those issues.
The idea for BASeBlock was to have it Open Source. The problem with that is that my connection is no longer uber awesome like it used to be, meaning that even uploading the binaries can take upwards of an hour. The source files would take significantly more time. THe Source for earlier versions is still available on the main downloads page entry for BASeBlock . When I get the ability to do so I will either upload the source separately or have it as part of the same installer package (optional feature).
The source will probably be licensed under the BSD license. Note however that this will only extend, at least for now, through the actual BASeBlock program. It uses a few satellite assemblies, such as “BASeCamp Update Library” Which will probably remain closed for the time being.
Currently, I am trying to get Polygon blocks working properly with the GameCharacter. Naturally, this is not that easy since a lot of the code with collision detection on the Gamecharacter is reliant on the fact that all blocks are rectangular. I have something that half-works so far, with a few errant issues that I need to fix; if I can’t I will simply revert it to the old detection and declare Polygon blocks and gamecharacters incompatible for the time being.
262 total views, 2 views today